BSC Task Force
A task force was created to work closely with the architect and construction managers to study design options and make recommendations. It was headed by Mayor Mary Giuliani Stephens and Council member Amy Scoggins, and included representatives from the primary user groups, city staff, and other citizens serving at-large.
The group was charged with reviewing and evaluating design options for expanding BSC and ensuring the facility can continue to be financially sustainable from an operational perspective.
The task force also assessed the options for expanding the facility to ensure the preferred selection would best meet the long-term needs of the community while staying within the budget allocated for the project.
BSC Task Force responsibilities:
- Review the current facility operation results for 2011.
- Tour other metro field house/ice arena facilities to gain a perspective of the possibilities and what has been successful in other communities.
- Review the current facility and identify deficiencies and needs to be taken into account in the design of the expansion project.
- Solicit and review input from the current user groups that rent the majority of field and ice time.
- Work with city staff, the architect and construction manager to evaluate alternative design options.
- Select a preferred option based on input and feedback form the primary user groups.
- Review the operational projections for the expanded facility based on the preferred option to ensure that the revenues will be sufficient to support operating costs.
- Provide a recommendation back to the City Council by Aug. 31, 2012.